Tuesday, February 10, 2015

Reality Sets In

On Sunday, I mentioned that the 20-minutes-a-day cooking plan was actually true to its name. Unfortunately, today I have other news to report.

My cooking session yesterday which consisted of pasta with sauce to accompany went much longer than planned. Despite the helpful suggestion that pasta cooked in little water can be cooked more quickly, I still ended up spending a full hour in the kitchen.

This didn't even include the time I spent to cook the broccoli, though this only took about 10 minutes, so it could have easily been squeezed in to the same cooking session. Though I intended to have fresh broccoli to eat, apparently I escaped from Open Harvest without picking it up and I ended up using frozen broccoli that I had left over in my freezer. This fits in well with the plan, since the 20-minute-a-day starter plan is not meant to provide all of your meals, but allows you to use up what remaining items are in your pantry while learning new menu items from the book.

This also didn't include the nearly 2 hours I spent trying to make yogurt.

I don't even usually buy yogurt for myself, but the idea of making something that I usually have to pay money for so intrigues me that I have to rise to the challenge. Because of this, I learned how to make cottage cheese. Apparently if you boil milk you can make yogurt. Boil it for too long though, and the milk begins to curd, giving you cottage cheese. The trick lies in being able to identify when it just starts to boil, which I obviously found quite difficult. I got it right on the second try though, and I have two jars of (hopefully) yogurt in my refrigerator now that I am looking forward to trying.

The yogurt brings up an important issue with the starter plan though, it includes a recipe which calls for yogurt, despite an absence of yogurt in the other cooking plans. A small complaint, but it's worth noting that yogurt is needed for one of the recipes.


No comments:

Post a Comment